Red Tape Challenge – progress to date
The Red Tape Challenge was launched by the Prime Minister in April 2011. Since then…
- 30 regulatory themes launched for comment on the website, covering over 5,121 regulations.
- More than 29,180 public comments and over 1,000 private submissions have been received, suggesting how current legislation could be removed or improved.
- Significant commitments so far include reforms to environmental regulation that will save business at least £1 billion over 5 years while keeping important protections and scrapping or improving 85% of Health & Safety regulations.
- Results have been announced on 18 themes so far within: Retail; Hospitality, Food & Drink; Road Transport; Manufacturing; Health & Safety; Employment Related Law; Environment; Equalities; Children’s Services; Rail and Energy; Challenger Businesses / Disruptive Business Models, Housing and Construction, Water, Maritime, Company and Commercial Law, Aviation and Medicines themes.
- Across these 18 themes, decisions have been made and announced by Ministers on 3,375 regulations – of these, 1,831 (54%) will be scrapped or improved.
- 293 deregulatory changes have already been implemented and by the end of June 2013, we expect 382 changes will have come into force.
A summary of scrap, keeps, and improves for themes announced so far …
|Theme||Scrap||Improve||Keep||No of regs in theme||% scrap or improve||Announcement Date||News Article|
|Retail||128||41||96||265||63%||28 July 2011||Click here for full plans|
|Hospitality, Food & Drink||11||73||33||117||71%||29 September 2011||Click here for full plans||Road Transport||52||83||235||370||38%||15 December 2011||Click here for full plans|
|Health & Safety||24||148||28||205||84%||28 November 2011 and March 2012 Budget||Click here for full plans|
|Manufacturing||46||19||63||128||51%||29 November 2011||Click here for full plans|
|Employment Related Law||12||80||86||178||52%||23 November 2011||Click here for full plans|
|Environment||52||131||70||253||73%||19 March 2012||Click here for full plans|
|Equalities||11||7||110||128*||14%||15 May 2012||Click here for full plans|
|Children’s Services||11||7||107||125**||14%||16 July 2012||Click here for full plans|
|Rail||63||26||132||221||41%||17 July 2012||Click here for full plans|
|Energy||86||45||218||349||38%||7 August 2012||Click here for full plans|
|Challenger Businesses||1||5||0||6||100%||20 September 2012||Click here for full plans|
|Water||21||86||59||166||63%||5 December 2012||Click here for full plans|
|Housing and Construction||68||32||106||206||49%||31 January 2013||Click here for full plans|
|Company and Commercial Law||37||20||58||115||49%||27 February 2013||Click here for full plans|
|Maritime||30||93||73||196||63%||20 March 2013||Click here for full plans|
|Aviation||30||18||35||83||58%||20 March 2013||Click here for full plans.|
|Medicines||6||209||40||255||84%||26 March 2013||Click here for full plans|
|Pensions||6||5||81||92||12%||26 April 2013||Click here for full plans|
|Insolvency||1||66||39||106||63%||5 June 2013||Click here for full plans|
|Business Sevics||0||12||4||16||75%||31 July 2013||Click here for full plans|
*This theme looked at the whole equality act but for reporting purposes has been split into 128 separate actions.
**24 measures are still under review, currently marked as keep